Weekend – March 13th & 14th
9 Am – 4 PM
Location: Sam Beauford Woodshop (Building #41)
Explore the world of woodturning. Students will learn the basics of spindle turning and bowl turning in a fun and informative weekend. Projects to be completed include a woodcarving mallet and a bowl as well as various knick-knacks that will be created while doing exercises.
Day 1: Focus on getting familiar with the lathe and Lathe tools. Spindle turning between centers.
Day 2: Focus on working with a chuck and bowl work.
Participants will leave with the knowledge and confidence to continue woodturning at home.
Course Learning Outcomes:
1. Learn all about a woodturning lathe and what to look for when purchasing
2. Learn about the different tools and accessories. What you need and what you don’t.
3. Learn how to sharpen woodturning tools.
4. Learn how to create beads, coves, rounds, and more.
5. Learn how to safely, efficiently, and effectively use various gouges, skew scraper, and carbide tools.
6. Learn how to apply different techniques to create projects.
7. Learn about selecting the appropriate wood, and how to get to the ideal moisture content for the various stages.
8. Learn to properly sand and finish your creations.
Assessment of Learning:
Students will create and finish a wood carving mallet
Students will also create and finish a bowl while demonstrating an understanding of safe and efficient lathe practices.