Forge a Handmade Knife
September 26 @ 10:00 am - September 27 @ 4:00 pm$165
September 26th & 27th, 2020
10 AM – 4 PM
Instructor: “Sensei” Patrick & Luke Barnett
Location: Sam Beauford Woodshop (Building #41)
Ages 16 & Up
Join us at the Sam Beauford Woodshop and make your very own fixed blade knife.
Day 1: Students will cut, shape, and file their knife blank into their ideal shape. We will heat treat our blade in a gas forge.
Day 2: Students will handle their blade with some of our beautiful pieces of timber.
Course Learning Outcomes:
1. Learn how to select steel for knife making.
2. Learn to profile a knife blank.
3. Learn to use a grinder to cut the rough knife profile shape.
4. Learn to use sanders to further shape a knife.
5. Learn to grind a bevel.
6. Use the drill press to put rivet holes in a blade.
7. Learn to use the forge to heat treat knife blades.
8. Use the band saw to cut the rough shape of your knife handle.
9. Use sanders to shape your handle.
10. Learn to glue and rivet knife handles.
11. Learn to put a final edge on a knife.
Assessment of Learning:
Students will create a knife of their own design.
If you have any questions about this class, please contact Wood Shop Director Luke Barnett at (517) 902-8383 or email@example.com