Monday, March 22nd – March 28th
Instructor: Luke A. Barnett
Location: Sam Beauford Woodshop (Building #41)
Ages 16 & Up
Build a Windsor Balloon Back Side Chair with Chairmaker Luke A. Barnett. Students will join us for a 5-day class. We will start with logs on Monday morning and finish with a balloon back side chair on Friday.
Course Learning Outcomes
- Students will learn how to obtain and choose the ideal logs for a chair.
- Students will learn how to rive the logs to get perfect straight-grained lumber.
- We will steam bend the balloon back.
- We will learn how to build a kiln and control the moisture content in the wood to get the best out of it.
- We will sculpt the spindles and carve the seat.
- This is a hand tool, intensive class. There will likely be additional hours needed during this class, expect to work late some days.